HITRUST Data Breach Report
The Health Information Trust Alliance (HITRUST) periodically analyzes breach data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and other sources, and makes it freely available to the industry to inform on trends and continuing security and privacy risks.
The most recent report from HITRUST is an analysis of U.S. healthcare data breaches from 2009 to the present titled "A Look Back: US Healthcare Data Breach Trends."
Breach history information:
- The total number of records breached since September 2009 is 21.12 million.
- The average breach size is over 42,000 records at a cost of almost $8.3 million.
- Insiders were responsible for 25% of the breaches.
- By raw numbers, Texas is one of the top 5 breached states.
- Theft accounts for 54% of the breaches, and 52% of the breaches involve the loss of computers or mobile media.
HITRUST is the source of this report.